Wednesday 12 September 2012

Easy this diabetes, isn't it?


Worried - Hell Yes!

Last night was an eye opener.  Ok, so I'm only 7 months old in diabetes years, but I also a grown man, so you'd think I would be able to avoid a self-inflicted scare, right?

Ha, if only.  So there I was, meal cooked, hands clean (please note DSN!), bg measured carbs counted and bolus injected - all ready to eat and chatting away with Mrs. B when 'we' decided to take a closer look at a logo we have been designing. "It'll only take me a few minutes" said Mrs. B, "I'll just pop up and edit it, it'll look so much better!"

No worries.  I sat there and faffed with the website a bit, then decided to check the links, then updated a blog, then faffed a bit more, then went to synch the sites so I could see how it looked 'live' - boom - an hour had passed and all of a sudden I couldn't see properly.  Ringing in the ears, heart beat up...whoa there.

Stood up and walked out of the office, feeling ever so slightly like it wasn't really me, like I was only a passenger on a bus along for the ride, and not really worried about who the hell WAS driving the bus!

Walked into the kitchen, opened the fridge!  Went to the table, picked up my meter and my plate of food. Walked into the lounge - sat down, started at the food in one hand and the meter in the other.

"Are you OK" asked Mrs. B

"I think I might be a bit low", says I. "I took the bolus ages ago." Doh!  Still hasn't registered that I might actually need to eat something, like, fast!

So what do I do?  Another bg test!  What a plonker - bg of 2.6, my first ever below 3 reading and I still sat there like a lemon!  Mrs. B to the rescue, one big glass of orange juice later and an 'instruction' to eat my food and an hour later I was back up to a 4.3.  

Then a 6.8.

Then a 9.8 before bed!! And now scared to correct 'cos its bedtime and worried about going low overnight!

Quote of the night from the wonderful Mrs. B "wow, like you can't lose focus on this even once can you. I mean ever!"

Pah - easy this diabetes, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment